ahhhhh the holidays are here! This means there are endless reasons to overeat, overindulge, and over-do-it.
Basically starting on Halloween day the flood gates open and the huge wave of candies, pies, cookies, wine, and other quite delicious and highly fattening foods wash over you like a shower from the gods. I mean you are allowed to treat yourself right? Over and over…and over…and over again until you feel as though it’s no longer a treat but a string of days of constant bloat.
Here’s the thing though: everyone no matter who you are deserves to enjoy their lives and indulge in things that set their souls on fire. But I’d like to share some tips with you to help put the brakes on and make that candy train come to a screeching hault.
- Load up on complex carbs. These not only reduce inflammation and support digestion but they keep you fuller longer ! Try to replace rice with quinoa or farro. Eat a banana in the morning before work. Load up on leafy greens in your salad or cooked as a side with your salmon.
- Incorporate foods high in good fat! These foods actually promote weight loss. What!? These include avocados, fatty fish, almonds, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Water, water, and more water. I shoot for 140 ounces of water a day. The more hydrated I am, the less hungry I feel.
- Curb your cravings for sweets by substituting healthier choices. Organic peanut butter on a rice cake is my go to. Or maybe I’ll munch on some cocoa covered almonds for the chocolate craving.
- Lastly, let yourself cheat every now and then!!! Have 1 piece of pie a week instead of 9 and when grandma offers you Christmas cookies gladly accept 🙂
Happy holidays you nutritious babes